(LiveHacking.Com) – A new major, production ready, version of PacketFence has been released. The new release brings new hardware support, several new features, various enhancements, and many important bug fixes.
PacketFence 3.0 is a free and open source network access control (NAC) solution, that allows network administrators to control access to the network based on defined policies. PacketFence includes a captive-portal for registration and remediation, centralized wired and wireless management, 802.1X support, layer-2 isolation of problematic devices, integration with the Snort IDS and the Nessus vulnerability scanner.
In version 3.0, the captive portal has been redesigned and complete guest management, including self-registration of devices by email activation or SMS and pre-registered guest creation by administrators, has been added. Also support for RedHat Enterprise Linux 6 / CentOS 6 support and Snort 2.9.x has been added.
The new hardware supported includes:
- Avaya/Nortel switches now support the floating network device feature
- Avaya Wireless Controller support
- Dlink DWL Access-Point support
- LG-Ericsson iPecs 4500 support for port-security and MAC Authentication / 802.1X
- Netgear FGS Series support for port-security